Covid-19: For the latest information on education during Covid-19 visit:



On the Isles of Scilly we have one Academy School which educates both primary and secondary students from age 3-16 years. All schools are required to put in place effective provision for pupils with SEN to ensure that barriers to learning are removed. Most children with SEN including those with and without an EHC Plan have their needs met in mainstream schools and settings. 

To access further education young people travel to the mainland. Five Islands Academy and the Isles of Scilly Council work together to offer both financial and transitional support. You can find out more under further/higher education section.

For information about education for children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) please visit our Local Offer website

Mainstream Education

Five Islands Academy

Five Islands Academy serve the island communities of Bryher, St Agnes, St Martin's, St Mary's and Tresco, educating students from Reception (aged between 4 and 5) -16. They have small primary bases on St Agnes, St Martin's and Tresco and a large base known as Carn Gwaval, located on St Mary's, for both primary and secondary students. To view more about the school go to

Mundesley House is part of Five Islands Academy and is a boarding house that provides boarding facilities for secondary-aged students who normally reside on the small islands of Bryher, St Agnes, St Martin's and Tresco. Students board from Monday to Thursday night, returning home on Friday afternoon. This enables students to access a full secondary education on St Mary's and attend extra-curricular activities. You can find out more by visiting the Five Islands Academy website page:

To view the operations protocol for conveyance of children and young people document please download PDF of Operations Protocol 


Support for Education

SEN Support in School

Five Islands Academy has a duty in relation to identifying and supporting children with Special Educational Needs, SEN, with or without an Education, Health and Care plan, EHC plan. Find out more about Five Islands Academy SEN policies and information visit


Free meals

Evidence supports that having healthy, well fed children aids learning and development and the Council of the Isles of Scilly is committed to encouraging a healthy and active lifestyle and to support learning.

Under the Universal Infant Free School Meals (UIFSM) Reception. Y1 and Y2 can claim free school meals. You may be able to claim free school meals for Y3 and above if you meet the eligibility criteria; find out more details

If you feel you meet the eligibility for free school meals then please contact Five Islands Academy.



Funding is available to get to and from school. Information on transport that is is available and eligibility criteria can be found on the Council of the Isles of Scilly website:

How to get to school clubs and recreational activities

Funding for transport for off Island children is available to attend after school clubs and activities. This is joint funded by Family Scilly Services and Move Scilly. You can find out more information by emailing or telephone on 01720 424490. 

Careers Guidance and Preparing for Adulthood at Five Islands Academy

To find out about the careers and preparing for adulthood support available from the Careers Advisor at Five Island Academy


How to make a complaint about your child's school

The Isles of Scilly only has one school for both primary and secondary aged children. To make a complaint about Five Islands Academy follow the link below. This will take you to the Five Islands Academy policies section then look for the complaints policy. Other schools will have their own complaints policy and please contact them directly. 

Home Education

Is home education an option?

Section 7 of the Education Act 1996 states that parents have a duty to secure education of children of compulsory school age, either by regular attendance at school or alternative means. Some children and young people with SEND and their families decide to opt for home education and equally have a right to do so but they do need to fulfil certain conditions. If you are thinking of home education as an option, then further information on this can be found or at To find out about home education on the Isles of Scilly Contact

There is also a flourishing internet community specifically for home educating parents with special needs children. A good starting place to find out more about the support available for home educating and to speak to others parents who are home educating go to or The National Autistic Society also has information on its website about home education.


How will the Local Authority Help?

Home education as an alternative to more mainstream education might be the right option for you and your family. How the support from the LA will be provided will depend on differing things:

  • If your child has an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan and it is agreed that home education is a suitable option then the LA will provide the provision outlined in the plan.

  • If a school is named in an EHC Plan and a decision is made to home educate then the LA is not under a duty to provide the special educational provision provided they are satisfied the parents are offering suitable arrangements.

  • If a child is in school then you must state in writing of your intentions to remove your child from the school and educate at home. However, if it is a special school, the local authority must give its consent for the child’s name to be removed. Once a parent / guardian informs the school in writing of their decision to home educate their child, the child should be removed from school roll and the Local Authority informed. 

  • Young people may also be educated at home in order to meet the requirement to participate in education and training until the age of 18. LAs should involve parents, as appropriate, in the reviews of EHC Plans of home-educated young people who are over compulsory school age.

  • Parents can also home educate a child with SEN who don’t have EHC Plans. LA should work with families and consider whether to provide support at home but they do not need to.

You can find out more about how the Local Authority can support you with home education Information on Council of the Isles of Scilly and home education is available


Can I be challenged with my decision to Home Educate?

The Local Authority can only enter a family’s home if they are invited by the family or if there is safe guarding concerns. However if the Local Authority is concerned that a child’s educational needs are not being met then you’ll get a School Attendance Order. This is an order requiring your child to attend full time education in the named school on the order.

Choosing an education setting for children and young people with SEND


The  variety of settings for children with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND) range from local-authority funded settings – eg  mainstream schools, special schools and  ‘resourced provision’ in mainstream, to independent special schools.   


Most children with SEND can have their needs successfully met in mainstream schools. 



Further information


SEND Education Advice and Guidance

Further information about education and training in Cornwall for children and young people with SEND from the Cornwall Family Information & Support website:

Ipsea also has some useful information on choosing a school or college: 

Further and Higher Education

There are a number of options available to young people other than attending an educational setting for further education. To find out more about apprenticeships, supported internships, employment, running your own business, please see our information on education, training and employment in the Preparing for Adulthood section of Local Offer Scilly website.

Further Education

Children from the Isles of Scilly access education at home and far and wide and in various further education establishments such as schools and colleges. 

The Council of the Isles of Scilly offer financial support for young people to access further education. More information on the support available can be found on the Council of the Isles of Scilly website:


Further Educational establishments will have their own SEND support services. To discuss your SEN needs and how they can support you, contact them directly.  Further information can be found on our Local Offer Scilly website.  If you need support with this then contact Family Scilly at Carn Gwaval Wellbeing Centre, St Mary's Email:  Tel:  01720 424 490.

Below are the links to where you can find out about further education in the nearby county areas of Cornwall, Devon and Somerset. 







Boarding Schools

Some children from the Isles of Scilly attend boarding schools to access further education. A boarding school is a school with live in accommodation attached to the school. You can find out about boarding schools by visiting the Boarding Schools Association:

The Association of National Specialist Colleges - Natspec

Natspec is the membership association for Specialist Colleges. Their colleges give young people with a learning difficulty or disability the chance to become more independent and to learn in an exciting environment with personal support. Natspec believes that a place at a specialist college should always be an option that is available to young people and their parents. 

Local Authority and Financial Support for Further Education support.

Making a complaint about a Further Education Provider

Further Education Providers will have their own complaints policies and procedures, please contact them directly.

Travel and Accommodation Grants

The Local Authority provides  travel and accommodation grants for Post 16 Student living on the Isles of Scilly. For further information please see our Post 16 Information Guidance and Post 16 Transport Policy 2019-20.  If you have any other questions regarding Post 16 Travel & Accommodation grants please contact Children's Services Administrator on 01720 424 495 or

Please note: If your child has been educated out of area (that is not on the Isles of Scilly) we will not have any information about your child becoming eligible for travel and accommodation grants and it will be your responsibility to contact the Local Authority. You can contact the Children's Services Administrator on 01720 424 495 or



Higher Education

Higher education is third level education after you leave school. It takes places at universities and further education colleges and normally includes undergraduate and postgraduate study. Higher education gives you the chance to study a subject you are interested in and can boost your career prospects and earning potential.


You can find more about higher education and the support available for special education needs and disabilities at

Making a complaint about a Higher Education Provider

Higher Education Providers will have their own complaints policies and procedures, please contact them directly.

Financial support for accessing Higher Education


Disabled Student Allowance:

If you go on to Higher Education, you may be able to Access a Disabled Student Allowance.

A Disabled Student Allowance is given to people with a disability or physical or mental health condition to help cover additional costs they may incur at higher education because of their additional needs.  You do not have to pay DSA back and can claim DSA in addition to other student finance. It can help pay for such things as specialist equipment, travel and for non-medical helpers. To find out more about the eligibility criteria for claiming DSA and to see what else it can be used for visit:

Once you apply the process should be:

  • You’ll get confirmation of whether your application is successful within 6 weeks.

  • It can take up to 14 weeks to get your DSAs support in place as this is done separately.


To find out more about other financial support available visit: